10.27.2013

Matt & Tasha

one of many

Nikon D300, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5; 18mm, 1/6 @ f/4, ISO 1000 SB-800 w/black foamie thing

Contrary to the lack of activity on my blog, I have been busy this summer. I upgraded my camera to a Nikon D300 and got a chance to take it out for a run in September at my nephew's wedding. I was able to act as sort of a third shooter and made sure I stayed out of the hired photog's way. Besides, they knew what they were doing and as far as I could tell covered the wedding admirably. I enjoyed getting some shots from the periphery and they had some nice setups. Every once in a while there'd be a gap in the shooting schedule and I got to grab the attention of wedding subjects.

Above is a shot I got at the reception. I was using one of those little black foamie things that Neil van Niekirk professes in his blog, books and seminars. So, most of the time the flash was pointer back over my head and directed to the ceiling using TTL. I'm sold on that technique. I'm not real good at it but I got some nice shots using it and can definitely see its advantages.

The ceremony was in a beautiful tree-covered clearing at a park in West Des Moines. The light was great if not a little green so I spent some time customizing the white-balance in post. It was a beautiful late summer day and think I got some nice shots.

bride & groom
Nikon D300, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6; 300mm 1/80 @ f/5.6, ISO 800

sprites
Nikon D300, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6; 75mm 1/200 @ f/5.6, ISO 800

happy
Nikon D300, 50mm f/1.8; 1/250 @ f/5.6, ISO 400

The lowdown on the D300 ... I really appreciate being able to crank up the ISO when needed. Yes, I got some noise but a lot less than the D200 gave me and nothing that can't be dealt with in post. It was a good day and a nice introduction to the D300.

No comments: